LAST UPDATED 2014-07-01
Plugin author: boroda74
Allows to use iPod/iPhone by the means of iTunes. Synchronizes tracks, playlists, playcounts, ratings and ID3 tag information from MusicBee to iDevices. Useful if you need to sync an Apple Device that MusicBee does not support.
Extract content of archive to plugins subfolder of MusicBee installation folder (e.g. to "c:\program files\musicbee\plugins").
Setting up iTunesEdit
- Disable "Edit> Preferences> Advanced> Keep iTunes Media folder organized" option in iTunes.
- Enable "Edit> Preferences> Devices> Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" iTunes option to speed up working with your device. If you need to auto-synchronize your device use device preferences in MusicBee.
- Turn off "Edit> Preferences> Advanced> Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" option.
- Clear iTunes music library before using plugin.
- Setup device preferences in iTunes as follows:
- Under each kind of media in device settings, only "Sync Music" should be ticked, with all other types of media unticked for sync setting:
How to use pluginEdit
Click "Tools/Turn iPod & iPhone Driver on" menu item. Connect your device to computer. Setup device (auto) synchronization settings. If you need to finish working with iPod/iPhone right-click on device and select "Safely Remove".
- NOTE 1
- You can assign a hotkey or toolbar button to "iPod & iPhone Driver: Turn on" command.
- NOTE 2
- If you are using this plugin your device library will always be synchronous with iTunes library.
- NOTE 3
- Plugin makes copy of track if track is format-converted due to device settings or if track artwork wasn't embedded (iDevices support only embedded artworks). Track copies are stored in "AppData\iPod & iPhone Driver" folder. Track copy is automatically deleted if track is no longer contained in device media library.
Go to 'Edit/Preferences/Plugins'. Click 'Uninstall'. Plugin will delete all automatically created files (e.g. settings), but you need to exit MusicBee and manually delete all files that were included in plugin .zip.
Limitations and known issuesEdit
- Podcasts, audiobooks and videos are always added to "Music" category of device media library (this hardly will be ever fixed due to bug in iTunes API).
- You can use several iPods/iPhones with MusicBee, but media library will be the same on all devices.
- You can synchronize iPod/iPhone, browse it and play tracks from it, but you cant manually add/delete tracks to/from device.
Do all you want with plugin binary and source code at your own risk.
Working for most users, discontinued, unsupported anymore.
Stable version 4.1.5292, 2013-06-28, only for MusicBee 2.2 or later.
Source MS VS 2012 project, C#. Most people don't need this.
June 28, 2014Edit
- New option 'Export only first genre'.
June 22, 2014Edit
- Sources are updated.
June 5, 2014Edit
- Minor bugfixes.
February 28, 2014Edit
- Slightly improved error handling.
- Increased speed of browsing iDevices.
February 27, 2014Edit
- Sometimes ratings and play counts couldn't be synced in two-way. It's fixed.
- Now if you tick two-way sync of play counts then last played date is also two-way synced. You need MB latest patch for this.
February 18, 2014Edit
- Added new option 'Reset sync data'. May be useful to fix 'synchronization failed - the given key was not present in the dictionary' sync errors. Go to 'Edit> Preferences> Plugins> Configure plugin' to use this command.
November 22, 2013Edit
- Several bugfixes.
November 21, 2013Edit
- More correct and detailed statusbar messages.
November 19, 2013Edit
- Previous version didn't work at all.
November 18, 2013Edit
- Minor bugfixes.
October 29, 2013Edit
- Custom15 and Custom16 tags are no longer used by plugin.
- Uninstallation of plugin deletes all cached (reencoded to format supported by iTunes) tracks.
September 25, 2013Edit
- Extended support for iDevice tags (e.g. "Composer", "Artwork", etc.) when browsing device.
September 22, 2013Edit
- Several bugfixes and sync speed improvement.
September 12, 2013Edit
- Several bugfixes.
September 11, 2013Edit
- Stable version released.
- Changed plugin name & description
- Added Russian localization
- Added "offline mode" to sync with iTunes without iDevice connected.
- Some enhancements and bugfixes.
September 10, 2013Edit
- Public beta version released.